At Sir Robert Hitcham, we want pupils to see and experience the beauty of mathematics and how it describes the world around us. We develop a conceptual understanding of mathematics through the use of manipulatives, visual representations, rich questioning and discussion to enable pupils to develop fluency, be able to reason mathematically and solve problems in a variety of contexts. We provide a differentiated and challenging curriculum to meet the needs of all pupils, including SEND. Pupils will be well prepared for their future education and the world of work; they will accept failure with good grace, knowing that by making mistakes, they create opportunities to learn something new.
Our school is a place where everyone will:
- value mathematics and mathematicians.
- feel confident to ask questions and thrive in their maths.
- enjoy an engaging, creative and inspirational curriculum.
- respect others and their contribution to the learning.
- expect, respect, inspect and correct mistakes.
- appreciate the beauty of maths and how it links to the natural world.
The foundations of our Maths curriculum
- An inspirational vision for maths in the context of our school.
- A commitment to developing positive attitudes towards maths with all pupils.
- A clear, progressive maths curriculum, outlining key skills and concepts.
- A high-quality approach to securing early number sense.
- A clearly outlined path for SEND mathematicians.
- Pupils significantly behind in their maths have a support plan with a maths target, which is regularly reviewed.
- Clear and concise use of mathematical vocabulary.
- A continuous programme of CPD for supporting teacher development in maths subject knowledge and pedagogy.
- An effective assessment system which supports teachers in identifying and filling gaps in conceptual understanding.
- Manipulatives and representations easily accessible to support all pupil’s conceptual understanding and differentiated to meet the needs of pupils with SEND.
- Understanding the beauty of maths and its place in natural world.
- Learning is continued at home using Mathletics to support and consolidate understanding.
We teach calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) using the strategies and methods outlined in the White Rose Calculation Policy.