The Key Stage 2 teachers currently use Class Dojo, which is a communication app for the classroom. It connects teachers and parents, who use it to share photos, videos, and messages. Years 1 and 2 will be introducing ClassDojo soon.
The purpose of ClassDojo is to give parents an insight into the learning of their child in the classroom by providing a point of discussion with the child outside the classroom. The main ways in which this is done is via images of activity in the class, with a short text description, or through the award of house points. It is a closed system which can only be shared with parents who have been provided with a login. The system is closed to either just a particular class, or it is possible to share whole school events.
It is not a communication link between a parent and teachers for important information, as there is no guarantee the teacher will pick up the message during the day. Messages should be sent via the School Office, for example if a different person is collecting a child home or details of medical appointments. Teachers may use Dojo for non-essential class information e.g. trip reminders, asking for help, to highlight pupil achievements, or check letters have reached home. Information about trips and events will always be communicated in a letter too.
- Award house points
- Post images of learning in the classroom, school trips, residential visits, to share with parents
- Be aware of online safety in regard to images of pupils
- Display images in line with parental consent
- Use the messaging service with parents to inform about low key information; homework reminders, asking for parental help, reminders, thanking for support etc.
- Not to use ClassDojo in a negative manner
- To use images and house points to discuss with pupils about their learning
- Not to share images on social media
- To use the whole school communication system; telephone, email and personal messages to inform the school of important information about pupils